Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Voidraven over Razorwing

Damn man.. going hard.

For a couple of games now, I've been including my Voidraven in almost every game over the Razorwing.  Don't get me wrong, the Razorwing is still a fantastic aircraft, but I think the way I've built my Voidraven has him beat.  The setup I'm talking about is a Voidraven with Flickerfields and 2x Shatterfield Missiles.  That's it.  Keep him as cheap as possible and the kit comes in at 175 points.

The primary objective of the bomber is to come in and do its damage.  It literally blows his load on the first turn and then runs away like a little girl.  If there's ground targets to be had, it gets to eat 2 Void Lances and both of the Shatterfield Missiles.  Next round, my VR zooms over another target (or the same) and delivers the mine.  Depending on what happens around me on the battlefield, the VR might go 36" just to get his ass off the board after delivering the mine, especially if there's other aircraft that plans to intercept.

Believe it or not, the AV11 really does help.  It makes the aircraft immune to bolters looking for lucky glances, and puts the plane in a sweet spot to eat glances over pens from a Quad-gun.  I like to take the Flickerfield over the Night Shields for my DE aircraft simply because I want to benefit from my 5+ invul save without having to Jink my aircraft.  Preserving those 2 BS4 S9 AP2 Lance shots are key at utilizing the VR's strengths.

It still kinda offends me how the void mine is only small blast, considering, you know, it's supposedly a triumph of Dark Eldar weapons technology.  If it was large blast, I would be all over this thing every time!  I guess when it comes down to it, most of the games I've had with fliers is all about the alpha strike anyway.  The plane comes in, does its damage and then dies, or flies away.  The ADL + Quad-gun is still especially hard on Dark Eldar aircraft, but that's just expected from something like that.  On the other hand, those S9 Void Lances really do a noticeable amount of damage over the normal lances.

Here's what the current list looks like with the Voidraven Bomber:

1746
18 VP

HQ:
Succubus (Agonizer/BP, Haywire) = 105

TROOP:
5x Warriors (Raider NS, Blaster) = 130
5x Warriors (Raider NS, Blaster) = 130
10x Warriors (Raider, NS, SR, Blaster, SC) = 195
10x Warriors (Raider, NS, SR, Blaster, SC) = 195
9x Wyches (Raider NS, Hekatrix/VB/BP, Haywires) = 210
10x Wyches (Raider NS, Hekatrix/VB/BP, Haywires) = 220

ELITE:
3x Trueborn (Venom NS/SC, 3x Blaster) = 156

HEAVY:
Ravager (NS) = 115
Ravager (NS) = 115
Voidraven (FF, 2x SF) = 175

1 comment:

Justin White said...

I'm glad

Post a Comment