Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Armada: Screed or Ozzel?

The only thing that sucks about this is that I need 3 APTs..

I'm at a point that I'm unsure whether or not I want to take Screed over Ozzel in a competitive event.  Both of the lists I want to run with these guys look pretty similar with all things considered.  Screed is definitely more damage based with his ability to shift bad rolls into critical results, but Ozzel makes the Imperial ships move like UFOs and is completely unpredictable in his movement.  In a way, movement can be considered another type of damage because of the ability to move into more advantageous areas.

Either way, here's what I'm looking at here.  Keep in mind that both lists are extremely similar, almost too similar in design.

SCREED/OZZEL
Author: HERO

Faction: Galactic Empire
Points: 398 or 397/400
Commander: Admiral Screed/Ozzel

Assault Objective: Advanced Gunnery
Defense Objective: Hyperspace Assault
Navigation Objective: Superior Positions

[ flagship ] Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer (120 points)
-  Admiral Screed  ( 26  points)
-  Relentless ( 3  points)
-  Intel Officer  ( 7  points)
-  Gunnery Team  ( 7  points)
-  Electronic Countermeasures  ( 7  points)
-  XI7 Turbolasers  ( 6  points)
-  Leading Shots  ( 4  points)

Gladiator I-Class Star Destroyer (56 points)
-  Demolisher  ( 10  points)
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points)
-  Engine Techs  ( 8  points)
-  Assault Proton Torpedoes  ( 5  points)

Raider-I Class Corvette (44 points)
-  Instigator  ( 4  points)
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points)
-  Assault Proton Torpedoes  ( 5  points)

Raider-I Class Corvette (44 points)
-  Impetuous  ( 4  points)
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points)
-  Assault Proton Torpedoes  ( 5  points)

1 IG-88 ( 21 points) / 1 Boba Fett ( 26 points)

This is what I'm currently undecided with.  I can either take Screed and just go for the all out damage with the Assault Proton Torpedoes, or I can go with Ozzel and his movement tricks to take better advantage of positioning.  I decided to drop Bossk in the build that I had before and added Assault Proton Torpedoes to all of my ships.  The reason for this change is two fold:  It gives Raiders a little more bite so you get the most mileage out of these extremely manuverable ships, and some of the crits in this game are absolutely disgusting.  In a recent game I had, I was able to push through two crits onto my opponent's ship and got Blinded Gunners and Compartment Fire.  Let's just say those results single-handily changed the result of the game.

We all know what Screed can do with the ability to hand out crits, but let's take a closer look at someone I only recently discovered.  Just think about Ozzel for a second and his interactions with the ISD.  With a navigate command, Ozzel allows the ISD to go from speed-3 with 1-click on each notch to speed-1 with 2-clicks.  On the Gladiator, you can go from Speed-3 3-clicks to double-click speed-1 to another double-click speed-1 with Engine Techs (essentially making you move like a Raider).  And then you have the Raiders, who can prow the sides at long-range going speed-4 before turning 90 degrees in on speed-2.  The only difference between these two lists is that Screed is guaranteed to make the Assault Proton Torpedoes sing where Ozzel is relying more on the Ordnance Experts re-rolls.  In either list I would suggest taking the Ordnance Experts because re-rolling black dice at enemy squadrons is why the Raiders are so dangerous vs. enemy squadron play.  The Boba Fett vs. IG-88 is to offset the difference in price for the two admirals, and IG-88 is a very solid answer to light A-Wing cover and can possibly out-duel any solo pilot in a 1v1.

Which one would you take to an event?  The Eldar player in me is begging me to take Ozzel, but I'm all ears in hearing what you guys think.

No comments:

Post a Comment