Monday, February 23, 2015

BFG: Working on something big

40K lore and spaceships.. so good!

Hey guys, not much from me in the last couple of days and I can explain.  You probably know that I've been doing a lot of WHFB with my Skaven and Vampire Counts, but you probably don't know that I'm working on something on the side as well.  I've decided to bring back a game that I hold most dear but haven't gotten around to playing for quite some time.  That game is Battlefleet Gothic and I'm proud to say that I'm working on a houserules package for it.

What does this mean exactly?  It means that I'm doing a re-write.  Not a re-write in the sense that it's going to be a completely different game, but a re-write for this prehistoric game that will make it fresh, fast, modern, and exciting to play.  For now, I'm simply calling it BFG2.0.

Let me tell you right now what my design goals are with this pet-project of mine:
  • Modernize the old ruleset to match the current 40K system
  • Improve game speed and fluidity by cutting dated design
  • Introduce alternating player turns for more interactive gameplay
  • Utilize visual gaming aids to better track board status
  • Increase design space for future additions and game balance

No randomized leadership, no goofy random movement, no gunnery chart (gasp!), just simple, easy to understand rules that will maintain the strategic depth that is BFG.  Add in a few new things like Admiral Traits and a few balance alterations and you have yourself a pretty solid game.  Currently, I'm working on the Chaos fleet and I would like to get at least 4 factions in the game before I go public.  Right now I have Imperial, Chaos, Eldar and Orks (matching the upcoming video game).

I am definitely looking for playtesters for those of you who are interested!  Just drop me an E-mail and when I'm ready for the next phase, I'll let you guys know.

5 comments:

Ian said...

So you're righting Firestorm Armada?

HERO said...

Nah man, actual BFG :)

HERO said...

No, Firestorm Armada has its own problems that I won't get into too much. I played that game quite a lot. This re-write adheres to the original game very well, only a few things are changed. Besides, nothing will ever replace space battles in the 40K universe!

Captyn Bob said...

Excited to see how this goes!

no gunnery chart ! :O:O

wordbearer said...

I'm potentially interested in helping in this. Personally I would like to incorporate some of the rule from Star Wars armada as it is a very innovative system that plays like BFG but just works much better. Big ponderous ships genuinely feel big and ponderous, it would allow for less broken variations between the species, so instead of Eldar moving twice a turn theg would just have extremely responsive ships able to react each turn instead of 4/5 turns ahead.

Post a Comment