Thursday, September 9, 2010

Tried some hardcore


Well, not really too hardcore.  We played 35pts eCaine vs. Kaelyssa with 5 minute turns for a standard caster kill game.  Since we played on our lunch break and this is our first time trying out the stress of "hardcore", we wanted to see what it was like.

Man.. it really IS hardcore.  On my first turn, this is what I did:
  1. Squire gives Caine a focus.
  2. Reinholdt reloaded Caine.
  3. Rangers ran to give Caine the +2 bonus on Eiryss and a Sniper.
  4. I casted Trueshot on Caine, killed both with normal shots and then magic bullet the MHSF guy next to Eiryss.  Caine GCs back to safety.
  5. Time - My turn ends.
WHAT?!  I was so shocked that that happened.  Maybe I'm getting old or something, but I barely did anything before turn was up.  I literally still had an entire army to move around and position myself.  In short, I wasn't able to shoot with my Hunter, run with Ol'Rowdy or move my ATGM into a more favorable location.

You know that saying "time flies when you're having fun?"  At the end of the game (Ol'Rowdy smashed Kaelyssa's face in), we decided that playing 5 minute turns was a bit too much.  Since we only have an hour lunch, we decided on 7 minute turns next game!  By my 2nd turn, I got used to how fast the turns ran but it still didn't help us in the most important aspect of all:  tactics.  A lot of mistakes were made and once Kaelyssa was exposed in range of Ol'Rowdy because of the mental pressure, I knew the game was over.

I am now officially impressed by the skill and precision it takes to play "hardcore", but I think I'll play something a little more casual.  Like they say.. "I'm getting too old for this shit."

6 comments:

Unknown said...

In Soviet Russia, Kaelyssa's face smash you =P! I like the 5 minutes of hardcore (although it is initially tough) because you have to prioritize your actions/tactics and plan your turn during the other person's turn. Also, you make bigger mistakes which forces you to learn in bigger ways thus improving your game.

I think hardcore gaming has the potential to really give your skills a growth spurt but it sure is a different animal than the untimed games we're used to!

Killswitch said...

Sounds epic. Im starting up warmachine soon with a few mates once Ive finished my guard army. Looks interesting, a bit on the expensive side.

Any idea about retribution? Ive no idea where to start or where to find info on them :(! They look hella sweet so wanna start them :D

Cheers

Alex

HERO said...

Alex,
You play 40K. There's no way you can tell me it's on the expensive side :D Check out this early early article I wrote on my 40K BA army vs. WM:
http://lkhero.blogspot.com/2010/06/why-you-should-play-warmachine.html

I used to play Retribution before I gave the army to my friend. Here are a couple of links to start you off :)

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Retribution_of_Scyrah
http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/mkiiRetribution
http://privateerpressforums.com/forumdisplay.php?66-Retribution-of-Scyrah-Community

HERO said...

That goes without saying, if you have any questions, feel free to post it here or Email me.

Killswitch said...

Sweet, spent the day checking em out. Sucks theres no plastics and thier "codex" book is stil lmark 1 erra, or has it been updated?

HERO said...

Their book was made with MK2 in mind.. so they're MK2 ready :)

Post a Comment