Sunday, September 12, 2010

BR: 35pt Siege vs. eGaspy


The battle begins with a map with a fair share of terrain.  This battle highlights the importance of utilizing knockdown and positioning so Breach turn can inflict the most damage.  By destroying and severely crippling my opponent's warjacks, I can stay ahead in the attrition game and deliver game-winning results.  The guy with the last warjack is always ahead.

My list looks like this:

Points: 35
Major Markus 'Siege' Brisbane (*5pts)
* Defender (9pts)
* Defender (9pts)
* Ol' Rowdy (9pts)
* Squire (2pts)
Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team (4pts)
Captain Arlan Strangewayes (2pts)
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution (3pts)
Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator (1pts)
Stormsmith Stormcaller (1pts)

His list looked like this:

Points: 35
Lich Lord Asphyxious (*6pts)
* Nightwretch (4pts)
* Reaper (7pts)
* Seether (9pts)
* Skarlock Thrall (2pts)
Bane Knights (Leader and 9 Grunts) (10pts)
The Withershadow Combine (5pts)
Bane Lord Tartarus (4pts)

Cryx Turn #1
He runs his entire army and covers his advance with clouds of goo.  For those of you who don't know, eGaspy has a spell called Caustic Mist.. which he can cast to block LoS to a lot of targets as long as he stacks them next to eachother.  His Reaper sat behind some concealment forest and his Seether sat right behind the Reaper with the WSC sitting close to both.  For Warmachine newcomers, this is the dirty strategy of Dark Industries:  If he manges to gets a hold of any of my jacks with the Harpoon, he can damage it enough for the WSC to turn him into another Seether or something.  His Bane Knights run up my left flank and Bane Lord floats around the right side of the board.  The Nightwrench also hugs the woods with the Reaper for some arc node coverage.

Cygnar Turn #1
On my turn, I moved both Defenders up with 2 focus each.  I put a foxhole on them and hold off on moving Siege any further.  Arlan boosts Ol'Rowdy and he Imprints for Grudge just in case he gets pulled.  Since the mists were up on every location except for one opening to his Seether, I positioned my Defenders and made magic happen.  The Defenders open fire for boosted attack and damage rolls.  Concentrated fire puts serious damage on the 1 and 6 boxes causing the Seether to lose one of his arms.  Eiryss aims and shoots the Nightwrench for Disruption and I'm happy with that.  B13 moves up and attempts to Snipe the Knights on my left flank but only manages to kill one.  The Stormsmith runs up the left flank and the turn ends.

Cryx Turn #2
On his turn, he puts 3 focus on the Reaper, 3 on the Seether and that's it.  I know exactly what he's going to try to do.  Or not!  Instead of harpooning my Ol'Rowdy, he harpoons one of the Defenders out of the Foxhole!  He rolls insanely high and beats the DEF16 requirement and drags one of my Defenders to his doom.  After some serious damage from the Reaper and the Seether that charged in, I'm left with no Cortex Hammer and boxes everywhere.  The moment of truth came with the Seether Chain Attacked with Grab & Smash and I resisted the throw!  Now I'm stuck in there with a half-ass Defender and no targets of opportunity.  The rest of his army runs up close and is now in charge range of my army.

Cygnar Turn #2
Siege is the master of making big turns and that's exactly what he did this game.  I'm not going to take any credit for Siege's masterful execution of tactics and strategy, but in short, this is what he did:  Siege starts by dropping Foxhole, putting 2 focus on the safe Defender, 1 focus on the one stuck in combat and 2 on Ol'Rowdy.  That gives him 2 more for himself since he ate some Squire.  Strangewayes moves up and tries to Evasive the Defender locked in combat but he's just short of range.  No problem, Ol'Rowdy decides he's going to single-handily turn this shitstorm around.  He charges in 8" towards the Seether and Skarlock Thrall and smashes his hammer into the ground.  He boosts to hit the Seether, watches as the Skarlock falls on his ass and knocks down my own Defender.  I use Grudge on Ol'Rowdy and then end his activation.  Reinholdt reloads Siege and the time for action is now.  With a clear line of sight to the Reaper and the KD Seether, Siege walks up and covers most of the Cryx army with Breach.  He starts off and ground pounds 4 Bane Knights into ash and before setting up his 2nd shot.  His next shot hits the Reaper in the face with a boosted attack and damage roll for 16 boxes of damage.  The force of the impact immediately destroys the Harpoon and the movement of the Reaper 'jack.  Seeing the Seether on his ass, the Defender hits his DEF5 target easily and boosts for massive damage.  A total of 19 points of damage is scored and the Seether vanishes from this world.  With no melee weapon and no chance of survival, the Defender takes a chance and moves out of combat with the Reaper.  The Reaper strikes him down easily with the Free Strike and now stands to face Ol'Rowdy alone.  Eiryss moves up and takes a chance with her bow at the now breached Tartarus, hits and rolls laughable damage.  The B13 goes to town with Mage Storm and Brutal Shots and puts down a bunch more Bane Knights.  The Stormsmith epic fails with a 12/8 on his skill check.

Cryx Turn #3
With his army in shambles, the Iron Lich is confused.  He is too far away to pop feat and kill Siege, but he is in range to try and kill the Defender.  Too bad the way I moved my B13 put them as meat shields in front of my Defender so that he can't possibly be melee'd my reach targets.  He decides not to pop his Feat but instead puts 3 focus on the Reaper in a futile attempt to kill my Ol'Rowdy.  With the Seether wrecked in front of his WMC, they cowardly sit behind cover and hit my Ol'Rowdy with magical attacks.  I get hit by one of them for 4 damage while the others bounce off my ARM20.  The Reaper comes up to me and smacks me for some damage.  I smack back with Grudge but roll low for damage so only a few boxes gets filled.  In total, I take something like 9 damage on various locations so nothing critical happens there.  Tartersauce charges Eiyriss and turns her into a Thrall.  The Lich moves behind his WSC and throws up some more mists; one of which lands on Ryan and my Defender and ends his turn.

Cygnar Turn #3
I put 2 focus on my Defender and keep 5 for myself.  Yum Squire.  Arlan moves up and PB's Ol'Rowdy for a Focus and the fireworks begin.  I move Ol'Rowdy into the left flank of his Reaper and tremor everything within 2".  I catch his Reaper and his Nightwrench (who ran there last round) and I spend a focus to bash the Reaper's face with another attack.  The Reaper is now a smoldering ruin.  My B13 cleans house again with Lynch Black Pennying Ryan out of reach of a Bane Knight and Ryan shoots up two more after that.  Watts shoots and misses, but that's fine.  My Defender now has LoS to the Iron Lich's medium size base, aims, boots and scores a hit with a boosted damage roll.  After 12 points of damage is logged on the caster, Siege makes his move.  He moves, Explosivos himself, boosts to hit and hits the Iron Lich in the face.  He boosts for damage and that's enough for the game.  Otherwise, the next shot and the AOE3 would of probably did considerable damage to the WSC near his caster.

Cygnar Wins!

No comments:

Post a Comment