Friday, March 19, 2010

My Blood Angels army list


All this talk about Blood Angels and no army list..  Let's change that right away!  Here is my current 2K army list that I plan to field as soon as I have the book in my hands.  This army will follow the same philosophy as my other lists in terms of army design.  To make things a little easier, I think I'll just break the list down and analyze each and every piece separately.

HQ:
Mephiston = 250

My HQ choice is going to be the Lord of Death himself.  He provides my army with that much needed Ld.10 Hood and acts as a Greater Daemon mounted on a 25mm base.  Because of his amazing statline and small stature, he can easily hide amongst a fully mechanized army.  His ability to fly increases his threat range by a ton, so I don't need to worry about obstructing his influence on the battlefield.  Mephiston can cast 3 psychic abilities a turn; Sanguine Sword which gives him S10, Wings of Sanguinius that allows him to fly and Unleash Rage which gives him Preferred Enemy.  All of these will be instrumental in making him extremely dangerous to the enemy.  Remember what I said about S10 weapons that ignore armor:  They pose a threat to everything on the table (especially when it's a force weapon as well).  Peace out Trygon.


TROOP:
10x ASM (Rhino, PF, 2x Meltaguns) = 250
10x ASM (Rhino, PF, 2x Meltaguns) = 250
5x ASM (RB TLAC, PW, Meltagun) = 180
5x ASM (RB TLAC, PW, Meltagun) = 180

The core of my army features 30 men, all brave and true to the cause.  The ASMs have replaced Tacticals in my list because of their extra attack (to take full advantage of the FC/FNP bubble), their ability to carry 2x Special Weapons and the fact that a fast assault-based army has no room for stationary shooting.  This core consists of 2x units of 10-strong ASM with 2x Meltaguns each in Rhinos, and 2x smaller groups of ASM in Razorbacks with Twin-linked Assualt Cannons.  These will be the shuttles for my Sanguinary Priests and provide that lovely 12" total bubble of Feel Nothing, Kill Everything.

Edit:  The 10x ASM in Rhinos can be subbed out with the jumpers presented below.  This will increase their chances to get into assault faster and decrease the amount of KP in the list:

10x ASM (PF/Infernus, 2x Meltaguns) = 250

ELITE:
Corbulo = 105
Sanguinary Priest = 50

For my elite choices, I've decided to go with good ol' Corbulo and a naked Sanguinary Priest.  Depending on how the battle proceeds, I might keep my Priest in the RB (shooting) while the rest of my troops run around and fight.  He's an IC that can be picked out in combat and has a 3+ armor save at 1W/50 points a piece.  Why would I ever throw him in combat when I can keep him in a AV11 Razorback that can move 12" and shoot and still offer the 6" bubble of love?  Corbulo, on the other hand, is worth two Priests in himself.  He has a S5 Rending Chainsword called "Heaven's Teeth", has 3 attacks base and gives himself a 2+ FNP rule ontop of his natural bubble.  The 2+ FNP and 2 wounds makes him virtually unkillable by anything short of power weapons.  That's why when the big baddies arrive to take on Corbulo, Mephiston will be there to put them in their place.

FA:
Baal Predator (TLAC/HB) = 145
Baal Predator (TLAC/HB) = 145
Baal Predator (TLAC/HB) = 145

HEAVY:
Vindicator (DB) = 150
Vindicator (DB) = 150

I'll just do these at the same time since they compliment eachother so well.  When I first looked at the Codex on March 8th, I thought to myself:  What's stopping me from taking 3x Baals and 3x Vindies in every list I make?  After careful deliberation, I divined upon an answer:  Nothing.  These two vehicles work so perfectly together it's something short of a miracle.  The fact that Baals are now Scouting, Fast tanks that occupy a Fast Attack slot means I can take the max amount of Vindicators.  Given, my list only has room for 2 right now, it's still a big enough threat that forces my opponent to plan around them.  There's nothing sweeter than moving 12" and lobbing a S10 AP2 shell of doom onto scoring units, Land Raiders and things not in cover.  Not to mention they'll always be moving and shooting (forward and back) so I can deny as much melta/CC threat as possible.  The same principle applies to my Baal Preds (prounced Ba-al, not Ball).

Well, there you have it, my 2K list.  Let's go over it really quick and take a look at the threat table it generates:  Mephiston (1), 20x ASM in Rhinos (2), 2x Razorbacks with TLAC holding the FC/FNP bubbles (3, 4), 3x Baal Preds that can Scout and shoot more than you'd like (5), and 12" moving pie-plates of death (6).  The presence of so many Twin-linked Assault Cannons and Demolisher shells on Fast vehicles offers an insane first-turn advantage.

All in all, I count 6 major threats at 16 KP.  Not a bad list I'd say. Much better than the first sketch I had going for my Space Wolves.  Kill Point count is a little high for my liking, but that's expected in fully mechanized lists.  It'll sure give my opponents a lot to think about once I come to the table.

17 comments:

HERO said...

Thanks dude. Cheers :-)

HERO said...

Oh a more related note, I might go with 2x 10x ASMs with JPs with a PF/Infernus, 2x Meltagun setup flying behind the Vindicators/Razorbacks. This will allow me to get into assault faster.

Anonymous said...

Assault faster is always good... just don't play like a bitch. Your write up makes you sound like one.

Isryion said...

Thanks for the write-up. I appreciate the thoughts here and on BandC, too. Gives me things to think about.

Not sure what the hate is all about...

HERO said...

Thanks Isyrion :)
Yeah.. I'm not sure about the hate either.

Xaereth said...

Heh, I just got done posting on my own 40k blog about lists like these :P

It's not a bad list, probably. I don't really feel like it captures the whole blood angel 'theme' as a whole, but it might do well. I'm not personally a fan of Vindicators, but I guess to each their own.

Anyways, I saw your posts on the 'Blood Angel Tactica' at Warseer, and though I'm annoyed by 90% of the posts that go on there, yours usually made sense. Your blog posts here seem well-reasoned and I rarely see that in any 40k blog. So, well done!

If you want other perspectives on 40k that aren't the (mostly retarded) people at Warseer or Dakka, feel free to visit my blog too.
www.rumorsofheresy.blogspot.com

Or don't: do whatever, lol. Just thought I'd say hey and tell you I liked your blog.

HERO said...

Thank you Xaereth for the kind words. I agree with your assessment that a lot of posts from the more popular forums can be a turn-off, but a few of them hold some merit.

As it stands right now, my list looks like this:

2000
14 kp

HQ:
Mephiston = 250

TROOP:
10x ASM (PF/Infernus, 2x Meltaguns) = 250
10x ASM (PF/Infernus, 2x Meltaguns) = 250
5x ASM (RB TLAC, PW, Meltagun) = 180
5x ASM (RB TLAC, PW, Meltagun) = 180

ELITE:
Corbulo = 105
Sanguinary Priest = 50

FA:
Baal Predator (TLAC/HB) = 145
Baal Predator (TLAC/HB) = 145
Baal Predator (TLAC/HB) = 145

HEAVY:
Vindicator (DB) = 150
Vindicator (DB) = 150

Mephiston is still leading the charge, but I took out the 2x Rhinos carrying the ASM for flying ASM instead. They reduced the kp count of my army and allow me to engage in CC much faster. They will fly behind the 2x Vindicators/2x TLAC Razorbacks pushing up, getting the sweet bonus of that FNP bubble.

Mephiston, since he's a lovely 250 points even, can be replaced with 2x 125 point Librarians with Jump Packs, and they'll go into the two ASM squads.

Thanks again. Nice blog :>

Anonymous said...

Are TLAC really worth the extra 35 pts? Doesn't seem to be worth it, since you have HBs already.

(assuming the RB is the same as the one in the SM codex, of course)

HERO said...

Not sure really. I will need to play test. It certainly makes a humble Razorback more of a threat on the battlefield.. especially since they can move 12" and fire.

Anonymous said...

To be a top list I think you need a 6th AV13 vehicle in there.

Also Vindis not good synergy with CC armies. when you're own troops get in close you will not want scattering St10 AP2 plates flying around....

Las/AC preds are the way to go, this also frees up enough points for Dozer blades on all vechiles. If you are going to move and shoot you will be wanting to move into cover from time to time.

My list

2 Libbies, Jump Pack, Unleash rage, Blood Lance.

3x 10 ASM, 2 meltas fist in each
2x Priests, jump pack, power weapon

3x Baals, Twin AC, Heavy blolters, Dozer Blades.
3x Preds, AC, Las sponsons, Dozer Blades.

Anonymous said...

does anyone use the death company and what do you think about them?

Anonymous said...

Corbulo, on the other hand, is worth two Priests in himself. He has a S5 Rending Chainsword called "Heaven's Teeth", has 3 attacks base and gives himself a 2+ FNP rule ontop of his natural bubble. The 2+ FNP and 2 wounds makes him virtually unkillable by anything short of power weapons.

WTFLOL?

- 2 priests, 100pts, 2 bubbles. Corbulo, 105pts, 1 bubble. see the difference?

- rending chainsword, who cares? u don't want a priest in (base contact) in CC. that includes corbulo.

- DS1/2 & S8+ ...bb FNP 2+

Anonymous said...

what is a PF/Infernus and HB

HERO said...

Power Fist and Heavy Bolter.

rtknight said...

What do you think about Dante? I mean while I love Mephiston you have to admit, deepstriking with Dante with a squad of (troop choice) sanguinary guard, and a priest with a pack, with no scatter can make an enemy army have to turn their whole army around to deal with this new threat on the field while you jump in and cleave their back line to shreds.

HERO said...

Do you think that will make your points back? The shock factor is there, a bunch of 2+ armor dudes who just drop in with meltas, power weapons and Power Fists.. but is it worth the points invested? The squad will probably have meltas, Dante himself, a Priest, so that's 225+250(generous squad)+75 for a total of ~550. What is it going to shoot/kill that's going to make its points back before everyone will focus enough wounds on it to kill 7 models? I like the guy, but he needs a bigger squad, cover/build/BLoS to jump into, and an opponent who doesn't know it's coming (and thus deploy for it). Oh, and no Tau.

rtknight said...

I play against my brothers Tau army all the time and I bring Dante with SG backup, I end up killing most of his army with those 7 models alone :)

Post a Comment